Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Good Deed Card

We were having trouble getting the kids (mostly Johnny) to go to bed at night. He would not stay in his bed and stand at the door staring out. It's a glass door so it was pretty creepy when I glanced over and saw a very pale little person blankly staring at me! We were also having lots of tantrums and I wanted a way to get the kids to want to help and be more cooperative. So I turned to Pinterest. I found these punch cards here. I saw a lot of chore ideas but I wanted more than that. I want to encourage the kids to be nicer to each other, offer to help with Dia, clear their dishes after dinner, etc.


 After I printed them all out, we sat down together as a family and talked about love at home and how we can show love to each other. And how to do service and be helpful. Together we made a list of things that are considered 'good deeds' and will earn punches. Since the kids made the list I figured they would be more likely to follow it! We Daniel picked up some jars from Ikea to hold their money and we hung it all in the kitchen!


When they fill up a punch card I give them the option of getting money or a prize. I was originally going to just do money because they are always asking me to buy them things and I always say they need to save their money. Except they never get money so how are they supposed to save it? Anyway, the grocery store was having a clearance sale and I picked up a bunch of super hero stuff for Johnny so I decided on the option of money or a prize.

I was surprised how motivated Johnny has been! He filled up his first card with in 2 days. And the next one like 2 days later! Addie took a little bit longer but she is doing great too! Johnny has stayed in his bed at night ever since we started this. Sometimes I have to remind them that if they want a punch then they need to do the things that I have asked. Often they ask to help me with laundry or dinner. Sometimes I ask if they want to earn a punch by helping me and they say no thanks. And that's fine. I am hoping they learn to want to help and see that it's not that hard to help out a little here and there.



First punch card filled up!




So excited!


Second card.

We will see how long we can keep this up!



No comments: