Thursday, March 21, 2013

Valentines Day

I can't believe I am as far behind on blogging as I am! Valentine's Day was over a month ago and I am just now posting about it. 

I wasn't terribly motivated to come up cute Valentine's for Addie to take to school this year. I almost broke down and just let her pick some out from the store. Almost. Instead we agreed on these cute ones that have  home made trail mix and a printable tag. Yes, I am one of those moms that sent her kid with a bag of treats. But it was just trail mix, nothing crazy!
***

After the kids went to bed the night before, I set to work getting things set up. Their bags had been hanging on the backs of their chairs for a little while already. I have to say I was extremely happy that I made the third bag last year when I was making Johnny's. I did not want to have to do that again this year!

Since Addie was little, we've always gotten them balloons!
***
For breakfast I made the kids toast and used a cookie cutter to make a heart. (We have been making PB&J sandwiches like this because they love it, so the cookie cutter was already out!).

Of course they were so excited to open their bags to see what was inside.

An Iron Man mask and DVD...

For some reason I didn't get a good picture of Addie with her goodies. She got a DVD and some earrings!


Little Miss got a cute doll! She already has like 10 cute dolls, but this one was too cute to pass up!
***

While Addie was at school and the little ones were napping, I got to work setting up the dining room for dinner. Thanks to the Dollar store, we had a festive, fun and cheap display!


They were so excited when they woke up/came home!


My cute Valentines!

After dinner and desert, the kids were super hyped up on sugar. We decided to get the Wii out and let them burn some of it off! First they played Wii Fit and had to jog, then we moved on to Zumba. They kept asking to do more songs! Crazy kids, their dancing makes me laugh!

I recently read a blog post about how holidays have become so crazy and over the top. I totally agree. I can do Christmas, and we do fun things for Easter. But that's about it. This is the first year I decorated like this for Valentine's Day. I am not really in to Valentine's Day myself. Daniel and I don't get each other anything. Although I do love conversation hearts! But I wanted to have a fun, special day for the kids. I want them to grow up knowing that Valentine's Day shouldn't just be about a special boy or girl. Valentine's Day in high school was ridiculous, with everyone carrying around huge stuffed animals and presents. I can't imagine what it will be like when my kids are teenagers! So, I like the idea of having a family love day. They don't need a boyfriend or girlfriend (although I do hope they find someone when they are old enough that will make them feel special on V-Day!).

No comments: