Thursday, December 18, 2008

To L.A. and back again

Just a warning, this might be a long post. I've heard many stories on the news about flights that get diverted or stranded where they don't let you get off, they don't have any food and everyone is miserable. Now I have my very own! My situation was not as bad as when that plane had a sewer leak and they all had to sit there and we were not just stuck on the ramp with nowhere to go. But yesterday was miserable.

Addie and I were at the airport at 10:30 (actually on time!) to get on our 12:20 flight. While we were there the flight kept getting delayed later and later. I think we actually go on at about 1:30ish. The flight to Vegas was going great. They left the seat next to me open so Addie had her own space to play and sit. She was fighting a nap the whole time but she did great! Just as we were approaching Vegas, the Captain came on the speaker with bad news. The Vegas area was getting lots of snow and an airport in the desert is not equipped for that. The whole airport was shut down so we were being diverted to LA! They said we could get off there and talk to the customer service people about getting on another flight to Vegas from there. I was bummed that I was going to get there a little bit later than I thought but I thought I was still going to get there yesterday! When we landed at LAX there was more bad news. The plane was going back to Seattle right after they refueled it. We all had 2 choices: 1. Get off in LA and be responsible for finding a hotel and buying a new ticket to Vegas 2. Stay on the plane and go back to Seattle
Really!? I was on the phone with my mom trying to decide what to do, I was going to get off and stay in LA, when for a third time we got bad news. They were not going to take the luggage off the plane!! What?!?!? By this point I was pretty upset. I have to say though, I was not the only one on the phone with teary eyes as I was explaining what was going on. I was not going to stay in LA by myself, with an 18 month old and no luggage. So back to Seattle we were going to go.

Addie was so busy playing and looking around on the flight to LA that she didn't want to sleep until we were on final. Then she crashed. She slept through the landing, taxiing, and me talking on the phone. I finally has to wake her so I could get up and go get some food. I hadn't eaten real food (besides pretzels) since right before we boarded. Now it was about 6 pm. When I got to the door of the plane this guy was telling people that they could not get off to get food because the plane was going to be leaving any minute. Whatever, I was not about to sit there for another 2 1/2 hours with no food. So I risked it and got off anyway. We didn't even end up leaving for another 30 minutes or so.

The flight back to Seattle was fine. Addie is such a great baby! She played, colored and climbed all over the seats the whole time. People were telling what a good baby she was. When we landed I went and talked to the ticketing people. The good news was that they were re booking people for free. The bad news is, I am not going until tomorrow, on an 8 am flight with a lay over. So to summarize:

Hours spent at airport/flying: almost 12
Miles flown: Appr. 1,800
Final destination: right back where I started

I did manage to get a couple cute pictures and videos of Addie on our adventure.

Watching the planes take off.

Every time one would take off this is what she would do...

Pretty blues eyes on the plane.

She has started 'cleaning' up her messes and spills. In this video her water dripped alittle bit so she grabbed a napkin by herself and started wiping it up.
Today we are just haning out. One good thing about this is that I have another day to get things like our Christmas cards done.

3 comments:

Melissa Brown said...

I can't believed that it snowed so much in Vegas!!! I am sorry that you guys had to go thru all that. At least Addie was such a tropper about it all. Good luck flying tomorrow.

Clay and Katy said...

I am still in shock...did you finally make it out to Vegas??? Is the weather any better out there? That sounds so horrible, at least Addie was so good for you...if that had happened with us I would have been a mess!!

Alan Mizell said...

This comment isn't about your trip just general chit chat. First of all many congratulations on your new baby! Glad to see everyone is doing well. Sorry it took me so long to check in, not too busy just to lazy. ha ha. Best wishes to you all for a very merry christmas!