Tuesday, April 17, 2012

General Conference

At the end of March we had the opportunity to watch/listen to General Conference. We don't have any TV channels that air it so we watch it online. It does get tricky trying to watch our small computer screen with the kids talking and running around. This time I did my best to be prepared. I was all for 2 days of sitting around in my comfy clothes eating treats and being with my little family.
***
One of my goals was not to get up 50 thousand times for snacks, water, tissues, toys, etc. By the time all the sessions were over, it turned out I had more activities and treats planned than we had time for. This was also the first weekend Johnny was in underwear all day so of course there were lots of trips to the bathroom but for the most part the kids kept themselves quiet and entertained.
***
Johnny was not feeling great. Friday he had a fever of 102.7 when I decided to take him to the doctor. They didn't find anything wrong with him. He just spent Friday and Saturday sleeping a lot. Would it be bad to say how nice it was that he slept through 90% of the Saturday morning session of conference? We had breakfast with Addie and a quiet couple of hours. I didn't know if he was going to take a nap in the afternoon since he woke up at 11. Thankfully he did and we had a semi quiet afternoon as well.
***
Anyway, so I got some good conference ideas off of pinterest. The one thing I tried to do was put the face of a potential speaker on most of the activities/treats. When that person got up to speak the kids could do/eat that item. I was impressed with how well the kids respected this idea and didn't try to go through the baskets of stuff and do whatever they wanted. I also had a sheet printed out that they could glue the face of the speaker on. It kept them (mostly Addie) listening and involved. So here are some of the things we did:
***
We snuggled with Dad.




Did puzzles. (See our assortment of drinks, games and tissues?)


Used lacing cards.

Cut and glued.

Some of us had a hard time staying awake. :)

Glued some more.

We ate doughnuts.

Did more puzzles. I also hung pictures from the Ensign magazine that were familiar things to the kids (family, prayer, reading scriptures). When they heard someone say one of those words they put a sticker on that picture.
That evening while Daniel was at the Priesthood session (just for the men) the kids and I met up with Katy and her boys for some yogurt and some time at the park.
That turned out to be much longer of a post than I had intended. Maybe it will remind me next time when I don't feel like doing all the preparation work for conference that it did work and was worth it!
*****
Moving on. I didn't post a 24 week photo. Daniel thought he would be funny and mimic what I (supposedly) look like in my photos. He is always telling me I need to smile better. As far as I can tell, I am smiling. I am so stinkin tired even my face muscles don't work like they are supposed to I guess!

2 comments:

Mikki and Greg said...

Haha! I love Daniel's imitation photo! Sounds like you had Conference under control. Thank goodness for Pinterest and all these good ideas!

grandpa casey said...

well now that is surely a happy smile!!!!