Thursday, August 2, 2012

The story behind the name...

Diadora. Prounounced Dee-uh-dora.

I get a lot of weird and confused looks when I tell people her name. Most people ask me to repeat it. Some people say "Ooo...I love that" but I can tell they are thinking "what?!?"

I think this is a name you either really do like or you are thinking we are crazy parents for naming our child this. Daniel was pretty committed to this name right when she was born. It took us 2 days to make it official because I wanted to make sure it was right for her. It's a name you want to be sure you can commit to and love. :) So here's where it came from...

Most people know Daniel and I dated in high school. Daniel played soccer in high school. On game days he would wear his jersey to school. On one of these days we were standing around talking after school and I noticed the word 'Diadora' stitched into his shirt. We decided that we wanted to name our first daughter Diadora. Just like the soccer/sports equipment and apparel brand name.

Fast forward 6 or 7 years. Our first daughter was born and she looked nothing like a Diadora. Addisen Rochelle fit her much better! We always pictured Dia as athletic, not too petite or dainty and with dark hair. So when this little one came out at 9 lbs, wide chest and dark hair we knew the name fit her! Of course Addie's hair was dark when she was born too so it could turn blond. And maybe she will hate sports and be an artist instead. That's fine. For now the name is just right.

And I can't do a post with no pictures. Here is our little miss napping with the blanket I just made for her.


1 comment:

Mikki and Greg said...

I wondered where I had heard that name before. Now it makes sense. I never had any Diadora soccer gear, but my best friend did :) Its fun having history or some story behind a name!