Monday, June 17, 2013

Rainier to Ruston Relay

At the end of May we ran a relay with some people we had done the Ragnar Relay with. This one was only a total of 50 miles (not 190!). We had a team of 6 so we each only ran twice. It started by Mt. Rainier and ended in Tacoma on the water! We left around 6am and were done by about 3pm. The weather was perfect for us, sunny with no rain. Although, it did get a little bit warm by the afternoon. It was a fun relay but it was no Ragnar. We liked that it was shorter, there was no trying to sleep on gym floors and running on the middle of the night, but I think Ragnar was more fun! Ragnar is more united, everyone cheering everyone on. This one seemed more hardcore, people were not as friendly. There were numerous people who were running the whole 50 miles themselves! Yea, crazy. I was ready to be done training because I had really bad shin splints! Luckily, they were not too bad during the race and I actually did pretty well with my times. 

Daniel went to Northwest Trucks and got us another sweet ride to use. This time it was a Denali. So nice. We really want one of our own, just not while the kids are little! We took it to the store on Friday night to get food for Saturday. Luckily Daniel parked out where there were no other cars because Addie swung the door all the way open when she got out. It would have done some damage if there had been a car next to us!

Our group getting ready to make the hour drive to the start line!
(Me, Daniel, Ben, Ryan, Jesse and Megan. This time I had another female in the car with me! Yay! Megan is Ryan's wife and Jesse is Ryan's twin brother.)

This relay raises money to finish the trail. Some parts were nice and paved, others not so much. Daniel, Jesse and I were all in mud at points during our runs. It would have been nice to have it paved and not dirt. I do have to say though that my first run was really pretty. It was a dirt trail through thick trees. I had to hop over and carefully walk through many huge mud puddles but it was so pretty! I tried to get a picture but my phone is on the fritz so that didn't happen! This picture is with the R2R mascot (which I think is kind of creepy) at the start!

Every exchange point had a bell that you could ring as you ran through and tagged the next runner.

Daniel managed to get a couple pictures while he was running. This one was through Fife (close to where we used to live!). To get around the big puddles he had to run on this slope and eventually climb up to the street.
This is his other photo. The brush he had to run through was super tall!

The exchange point in Fife, down by the river.

Our group at the end with our medals, exhausted and ready to go home and wash the mud off!

Supposed to be a silly picture. I don't so silly. :)

Overall, it was fun. We'll see if we do it again next year or try Ragnar again!



No comments: