Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The adventures we have...

What a day today turned out to be! I knew I was asking for a tiring day when I planned on running a bunch of errands. In the morning we went to turn in the keys at the apartment, bought some produce at the fruit stand and went to Fred Meyer. After Addie's nap we went to the dollar store and then on to Walmart. It all went down hill from there...

Addie was fussing at me the whole time we were shopping, she had had enough. When we got out to the car I was busy trying to open a box of crackers to get her to stop whining at me, I dropped the keys in the plastic bag that I pulled the crackers out of, put the crackers in the diaper bag, placed the plastic bag in the trunk and shut it. Just as I heard the trunk latch, I realized what I had just done. Usually I unlock the car doors right after I open the trunk, but of course not today. This all happened at about 5:15 pm.

Locking the keys in the car is not a new thing for me, but I haven't done it since I had Addie. Daniel wasn't going to be home until late, he started taking a class tonight in Renton that ends at 9:30. Perfect. Thank goodness for 411. I found a lock smith that took 30 minutes to call and tell me he was on his way and it would be 25 minutes before he would get there, 25 minutes turned into 40. During that time we walked around Pets Mart looking at the cats, fish and birds, went back in Walmart and had a cheeseburger and fries at the McDonald's. Finally he arrived and opened the door, they don't open the trunk. Addie starts screaming because the alarm is going off but I can't hold her because I am filing out the silly form, the guy tried to pull the trunk release inside the car...and nothing! The stupid trunk has issues. I've had problems with it not opening before which results in me climbing in to the trunk from the back seat and pulling the emergency lever inside (it's a good idea to know where this is just in case you ever get stuffed inside your own trunk). I think the lock smith felt bad for me because he moved the big box that I had on the back seat and climbed into the trunk himself to open it! Of course the alarm is still going off, Addie is still screaming, people in the parking lot are looking at me and by now a man has come over to see if everything is OK. After we found the bag with the keys and turned the alarm off it was time to pay the guy. I started to pull out my credit card, everyone takes credit cards right? No. Apparently their credit card machine was not working, so he said. I had to walk back in to Walmart for the third time, take $150 out of my checking account and hand it to the man. Seriously, $150? I remember it being like $40. By 7:20 we were in the car and on our way home.

She was ready for bed by the time we got home and I am exhausted. So much for eating healthy and sticking to a budget! While I was putting the groceries away, I was watching her walk around babbling. It made me smile and for a minute all of the frustrations of the day were gone. Aren't those wings the cutest things? What a doll...

2 comments:

Travis and Ashlee said...

Ya we locked our keys in the car a few months ago and we were shocked at what it costs for something so simple. I don't go shopping without my husband because I can't handle screaming kids and still know what I'm buying. Good for you for at least going!! What a day though!

ART OPTIONS said...

Oh you poor thing! I know how those things can be...just one thing after another! Well just think...tomorrow can't be any worse :)