Sunday, February 12, 2012

Christmas Day 2011

Christmas fell on a Sunday this year. We had 9 am church. We are not morning people. My kids don't usually wake up before 8:30. So getting to church by 9 was a struggle every week. We knew there would be no way the kids would be able to wake up, open presents and have time to get ready for church by 9. So I came up with this master plan. At first I think Daniel thought I was a little nuts to be making such a plan but I think it worked out fantastic!
They are still young enough that they don't fully understand the whole Christmas morning thing yet, I think that's why my plan worked so well. I really wanted to make sure they didn't see all of the presents or else the whole plan would be ruined. My goal was to keep them upstairs while they were getting ready, come downstairs straight in to the bathroom to brush teeth/hair then go out the back door to church.
Daniel and I got up extra early so that we were completely ready to go before it was time to wake the kids. We set up breakfast upstairs in the loft complete with cinnamon rolls, bacon and juice. When they came out of their rooms they were super excited to doing something out of the ordinary.




It will be my lifetime goal to get a decent picture of this kid by himself. I get a lot of side shots.

Goofy faces.

Seriously?! Just one picture is all I ask.

So my plan to get out of the house worked really well. They had no idea that we were keeping them from all the goodness that was downstairs. We made it to church on time and looking nice. :) It was nice to go to an hour of church and to remember what Christmas really is about. Then come home and do all the other stuff.



When we came home Addie insisted on getting back in to her pajamas before opening presents. The night before we closed the pocket door that leads from the kitchen out into the dining room and covered it with paper just in case the kids got curious. Thank goodness these old houses have so many doors, it's great! I don't think they really noticed that their view was blocked until we got home.
When everyone was dressed and ready we let them go...

Johnny D went straight to his new tool bench.

And Addie to her doll house.


Then they realized that there were more presents under the tree.


But he kept going back to the tools. So cute.

Thanks Grandmas and Grandpas!

And when it was all done, there was the mess.

But it wouldn't be Christmas morning without toys, clothes and wrapping paper all over the living room right?

And apparently working on the tool bench is better in your sisters play high heels. :)

No comments: