Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Bye Bye Civic

One thing I fear is getting that phone call saying my husband has been in an accident. I keep my phone next to my bed in the morning just in case some thing happens while Daniel is on his way to work. Maybe it's silly to worry, but that really would be an awful phone call to get!
 
A few days before Thanksgiving Daniel was running late getting home. I had a babysitter over here while I went running and was running late myself getting to a chiropractic appointment. He was supposed to be home to take the sitter home and watch the kids. When he said he was going to be late, I had to load up the kids (and the baby sitter!) in the car and try to get to my appointment on time. Just as I got everyone in the car Daniel called and said he was in an accident. At first I thought "Really?!" Then I realized if he was calling me then it can't be that bad right? At least he was not injured (the other driver was fine too!). It had just happened so he didn't know the extent of the damage to the car yet.
 
I drove the babysitter home then called the chiropractors office and told them I wasn't coming. The kids and I headed to go pick up Daniel. I was so sad when I got there and saw my baby wrecked. She has been such a great car for us! My mom went with me to buy it in 2004. This car got me from Utah to Vegas numerous times. Then from Utah to Idaho while we were engaged. Once we moved to Idaho I drove it 50 miles every day between Rexburg and Idaho Falls. Such a great car! It had 198,000 miles on it, so close to 200k! As she was being loaded on to the tow truck I almost got teary eyed. Funny how you get attached to a car. :/
 
Apparently an 18 year old guy was on his was to school and just wasn't paying attention. When Daniel asked him what happened the guy said, "I don't know. I guess I just swerved." He had no explanation. We are guessing he was on his phone, texting or something.
 

The kids insisted on staying until they got to watch the tow truck load it.

This is all I could see in the dark.

If you look close, you can see that the kid hit the back bumper but then somehow also hit the front wheel.
 
Much worse in the day light. :(
 
A guy we know in our ward owns a body shop so the car was towed there. It was totaled and we received way more for it than we thought we would! Our friend also happened to have a cute little Kia Spectra for sale that was (almost!) in our price range. We decided that instead of trying to shop around for a car, this was a great deal so we bought it! I still don't have any pictures of Daniel with it yet. But it is cute! We are bummed to once again have a car payment but so grateful that Daniel was not injured and we were able to find another car!







No comments: